Fantasy Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Place to discuss and download the latest Fantasy Life versions.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Question about Map

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
shiverczar
Peasant

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2012-08-10

Question about Map Empty
PostSubject: Question about Map   Question about Map EmptyMon Oct 12, 2015 11:39 am

I realize people used to ask about this all the time, but is there any chance we could get an open copy of the newer versions of the map?

The reason I'm bringing this up again (and hoping for a different answer) is that it's been several years since the latest release, and I don't expect anyone plans on another official release, so I was wondering if it could be made available.

I play semi-regularly with a few friends, and while there's some changes we like with 1.31, we run into some serious (game-breaking) problems with it so we're running 1.30d, which still has that message spam until we've all equipped a weapon.

It's not game-breaking by any means, but I'm both fascinated by the map, and curious to see it's more updated versions, as well as interested in seeing if I can make a few adjustments [such as removing the message] that might make our private games smoother. I have no intentions of releasing anything publicly, but I'd like to tinker around in there if you're willing to permit it.

Of course if you want to keep it closed, that's your choice, but I'm very interested in it and would appreciate it if you'd consider another public release of the map file, or perhaps a private one. I'll respect your wishes regardless of what they may be.

Thank you!

(Also, I regret not using this forum back in the day... I don't really know any of the people on here very well =(    )
Back to top Go down
Watsine
Admin
Watsine

Number of posts : 3749
Registration date : 2008-08-19

Roleplay Character
Name: Kietan

Question about Map Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question about Map   Question about Map EmptyMon Oct 12, 2015 7:42 pm

long story short i don't have a copy of the map to give right now, will have my desktop back in a week or so, and I might tinker around with it a bit since i think i have an idea of what the bug is. No promises though as this bug is pretty much what killed the map, that and me enlisting/not liking any of the games on WC3.
Back to top Go down
https://fantasylife.forumotion.com
shiverczar
Peasant

Question about Map Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question about Map   Question about Map EmptyTue Oct 13, 2015 11:00 pm

Well that's plenty more than I was expecting to hear back so soon, so I appreciate that greatly. Thank you very much for a response both positive and quick Smile
Back to top Go down
shiverczar
Peasant

Question about Map Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question about Map   Question about Map EmptySat Oct 24, 2015 5:18 pm

Hello again, just checking in to see how things are =)
Back to top Go down
Watsine
Admin
Watsine

Number of posts : 3749
Registration date : 2008-08-19

Roleplay Character
Name: Kietan

Question about Map Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question about Map   Question about Map EmptyTue Nov 10, 2015 6:02 am

got the map, however end of league season and hear of thorns came out. Also need to figure out a way around using some of these hash tables. Either way will still be a while until much comes of it.
Back to top Go down
https://fantasylife.forumotion.com
Shieldbreaker
Peasant

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2011-05-07

Question about Map Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question about Map   Question about Map EmptyTue Nov 10, 2015 5:24 pm

If you fix the crashes, the map will boom in popularity, that I can say. We all stopped playing only due to the frequent crashes, if those are gone, the map is golden as is.
Back to top Go down
shiverczar
Peasant

Question about Map Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question about Map   Question about Map EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 2:57 pm

Even if you don't work on it yourself, just make it available to those that do have time it might be worth seeing what happens. There's already dozens of fake-release versions from people who broke into it and messed with things, so I doubt more of those are a real concern at this point...

Plus, if someone is able to figure out a way around some of the bugs, they can give you their fix so you don't have to come up with it yourself. Unless you plan to monetize the map in some way it certainly wouldn't hurt. Open source stuff generally works pretty well.
Back to top Go down
shiverczar
Peasant

Question about Map Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question about Map   Question about Map EmptyThu Feb 04, 2016 12:41 pm

I hope you've had some fun with GoW2; and I also hope that even if you're not willing or able to release a newer open-copy of the map, you'd consider explaining what the issue(s) you're facing are so that someone else might be able to provide insight. I'm not saying you don't know a lot about the map and what you're doing, but sometimes a pair of fresh eyes - even from the uninitiated - can help a professional see something they usually skip over.

"Also need to figure out a way around using some of these hash tables"
for instance, if you can explain what hash tables you mean and what they're doing, and what you want to do instead it's possible someone else could give you an idea that you could turn into a reality.

[or, again, they might be able to do it themselves if you aren't up for it]

Not trying to be a bother, but back in the day I really fell in love with this map and I think it's a shame if it just falls by the wayside to be forgotten, so if I can help breathe new life into the project I'd like to.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Question about Map Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question about Map   Question about Map Empty

Back to top Go down

Question about Map
Page 1 of 1