Fantasy Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Place to discuss and download the latest Fantasy Life versions.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

I see you lurking, thor...

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
YakaryBovine
Map Maker
YakaryBovine

Number of posts : 2989
Registration date : 2008-12-14

I see you lurking, thor... Empty
PostSubject: I see you lurking, thor...   I see you lurking, thor... EmptyMon Oct 14, 2013 4:03 am

Twisted Evil 
Back to top Go down
thorhunter
Retired Map Maker
thorhunter

Number of posts : 853
Registration date : 2008-08-23

Roleplay Character
Name:

PostSubject: Re: I see you lurking, thor...   I see you lurking, thor... EmptyMon Oct 14, 2013 4:57 am

I guess we all are slaves to a habit. Hows it goin?
Back to top Go down
YakaryBovine
Map Maker
YakaryBovine

PostSubject: Re: I see you lurking, thor...   I see you lurking, thor... EmptyMon Oct 14, 2013 5:38 am

Crazy how we even remember the URL after 3 years. I'm good - actually just been looking through the post history of the forum for nostalgia's sake. I was such a colossal moron, it's hilarious.
Back to top Go down
thorhunter
Retired Map Maker
thorhunter

Roleplay Character
Name:

PostSubject: Re: I see you lurking, thor...   I see you lurking, thor... EmptyMon Oct 14, 2013 6:10 am

Try my version of FL if you still care haha. http://www.epicwar.com/maps/232568/ .I actually managed to get it to beta stage.
Back to top Go down
YakaryBovine
Map Maker
YakaryBovine

PostSubject: Re: I see you lurking, thor...   I see you lurking, thor... EmptyMon Oct 14, 2013 6:11 am

I'll give it a go now.

I do still care a bit, hence the colour change in my name!
Back to top Go down
YakaryBovine
Map Maker
YakaryBovine

PostSubject: Re: I see you lurking, thor...   I see you lurking, thor... EmptyMon Oct 14, 2013 6:29 am

Wow, okay, this is definitely interesting. A few cursory comments, all with roughly the same theme.

Terrain
Skilled, stylistic, very custom... And completely inaccessible. I'm find it really difficult to identify the divisor between areas, even in the city.

Skills/Classes
Exactly the same comments as above. Actually learning my first skill was unreasonably difficult, and frankly I'd prefer to just be given a set of skills to use rather than having to click through this mess.

Lighting
Absolutely sick.

Altar of Tyr
Not a bad idea, but I feel this strongly moves the map from a free-roam ORPG to a genuine RPG with waypoints and progression, which I don't think was ever the point.

Priest Progression
Great. Unfortunately we're stealing this idea - I implemented a Piety meter today.

...Anyway. I could go on, but my comments are all the same for virtually every aspect of the game. Everything you've done shows skill and the content additions are great, but they're visually and conceptually inaccessible and, therefore, probably more frustrating than fun.

I think you'd enjoy a lot of the things I've added to the map over the past week. Some of them are really in line with what you've done here.
Back to top Go down
thorhunter
Retired Map Maker
thorhunter

Roleplay Character
Name:

PostSubject: Re: I see you lurking, thor...   I see you lurking, thor... EmptyMon Oct 14, 2013 6:46 am

Yep, it's really hard to come up with a good concept for a map of this kind. When I began working on it I was simply throwing in ideas without ever aiming to release it, hence the chaos.
Quote :
Skills/Classes
Exactly the same comments as above. Actually learning my first skill was unreasonably difficult, and frankly I'd prefer to just be given a set of skills to use rather than having to click through this mess.
All this mess was to allow players to mix their classes and I think the learning curve isn't a big price to pay for that.

Quote :

Altar of Tyr
Not a bad idea, but I feel this strongly moves the map from a free-roam ORPG to a genuine RPG with waypoints and progression, which I don't think was ever the point.
The waypoints progression is rather nonexistant. Some places are just too far from town, these would save the frustration of going over to such areas.
Quote :

Priest Progression
Great. Unfortunately we're stealing this idea - I implemented a Piety meter today.
I don't know about priest progression of any sort Razz.
Back to top Go down
YakaryBovine
Map Maker
YakaryBovine

PostSubject: Re: I see you lurking, thor...   I see you lurking, thor... EmptyMon Oct 14, 2013 6:48 am

thorhunter wrote:
Yep, it's really hard to come up with a good concept for a map of this kind. When I began working on it I was simply throwing in ideas without ever aiming to release it, hence the chaos.
Quote :
Skills/Classes
All this mess was to allow players to mix their classes and I think the learning curve isn't a big price to pay for that.

Quote :

Altar of Tyr
The waypoints progression is rather nonexistant. Some places are just too far from town, these would save the frustration of going over to such areas.
Quote :

Priest Progression
I don't know about priest progression of any sort Razz.
Quotes too hard.

Yup, the whole thing feels like a tech demo to me. I really don't think the learning curve is worth it. Nobody wants a learning curve that great in such a simplistic game with no save/load system. I'm a big fan of wild assumptions so I assumed the whole 'Chapter II' thing was Priest progression, I don't know.
Back to top Go down
thorhunter
Retired Map Maker
thorhunter

Roleplay Character
Name:

PostSubject: Re: I see you lurking, thor...   I see you lurking, thor... EmptyMon Oct 14, 2013 6:52 am

Nah, the chapters are progression after events are completed. These include new items in shops, stronger enemies and some misc events happening.
Back to top Go down
YakaryBovine
Map Maker
YakaryBovine

PostSubject: Re: I see you lurking, thor...   I see you lurking, thor... EmptyMon Oct 14, 2013 6:53 am

Huh. That's pretty cool. If you didn't gather I'm now helping with the map, hoping to get a version released in like two days.
Back to top Go down
thorhunter
Retired Map Maker
thorhunter

Roleplay Character
Name:

PostSubject: Re: I see you lurking, thor...   I see you lurking, thor... EmptyMon Oct 14, 2013 7:02 am

Cool. I'm having break from FL now since there is little interest in it and got few other things to do. I will probably look into your log if there will be any since won't bother to install WC3 now. Anyway, feel free to comment on my map if you like since I will probably return to it someday. Also, I've made some sheet which helps me with schelude.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AkW7KI7dSd4TdGoxZUxLTWx6aW1kUmtaV0FFTkpQUkE#gid=0

Last edited by thorhunter on Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
YakaryBovine
Map Maker
YakaryBovine

PostSubject: Re: I see you lurking, thor...   I see you lurking, thor... EmptyMon Oct 14, 2013 7:03 am

You know, if I read that, you're running a real risk of having your ideas stolen Wink
Back to top Go down
thorhunter
Retired Map Maker
thorhunter

Roleplay Character
Name:

PostSubject: Re: I see you lurking, thor...   I see you lurking, thor... EmptyMon Oct 14, 2013 7:05 am

I'm not afraid to be honest, these required really good chunk of time to implement and I doubt even you could spare it Smile .
Back to top Go down
YakaryBovine
Map Maker
YakaryBovine

PostSubject: Re: I see you lurking, thor...   I see you lurking, thor... EmptyMon Oct 14, 2013 7:07 am

You, sir, underestimate my free time.

Did you know you have a special usergroup just for you? Surreal stuff.

Edit: Also the layout of that forum makes me want to nuke a small, third-world country.

Last edited by YakaryBovine on Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
thorhunter
Retired Map Maker
thorhunter

Roleplay Character
Name:

PostSubject: Re: I see you lurking, thor...   I see you lurking, thor... EmptyMon Oct 14, 2013 7:11 am

Strange stuff indeed. I think it involves me being able to see private chat I guess.
Back to top Go down
YakaryBovine
Map Maker
YakaryBovine

PostSubject: Re: I see you lurking, thor...   I see you lurking, thor... EmptyMon Oct 14, 2013 7:16 am

Yeah, that's just it. I just thought there would be a general Private-Chatter group as opposed to having 4 separate ones for individuals.

One last question before I go to bed. That clan, Clan EH, seems to have 1 or 2 active members. I was thinking of asking them if they were interested in having some input into Fantasy Life. Now I see you're the guy who does FL:U, I feel like I'd be stepping on your toes. Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
thorhunter
Retired Map Maker
thorhunter

Roleplay Character
Name:

PostSubject: Re: I see you lurking, thor...   I see you lurking, thor... EmptyMon Oct 14, 2013 7:31 am

The clan is pretty much crumbling and there isn't much interest in FL there overall.
Back to top Go down
YakaryBovine
Map Maker
YakaryBovine

PostSubject: Re: I see you lurking, thor...   I see you lurking, thor... EmptyMon Oct 14, 2013 7:32 am

Ouch. That's almost enough to make a guy lose motivation. I shouldn't ask these questions!
Back to top Go down
Vila33
Monarch
Vila33

Number of posts : 1072
Registration date : 2010-09-30

Roleplay Character
Name: Captain Obvious

PostSubject: Re: I see you lurking, thor...   I see you lurking, thor... EmptyTue Oct 15, 2013 5:26 am

How's it going, guys? Razz
Back to top Go down
YakaryBovine
Map Maker
YakaryBovine

PostSubject: Re: I see you lurking, thor...   I see you lurking, thor... EmptyTue Oct 15, 2013 5:38 am

I see you too, Vila... Long time no see.
Back to top Go down
Zhou_Yu
Peasant

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2010-11-17

Roleplay Character
Name: Zair

PostSubject: Re: I see you lurking, thor...   I see you lurking, thor... EmptyTue Oct 15, 2013 11:51 pm

Hi, guys! I'm sorta here too!

I don't get on Warcraft often, but am a 'shaman' of Clan NOG, which in itself is pretty active. I haven't tested the waters in my clan in a while, but I still speak to the other 'leaders' (whom are still fairly active). The clan is normally taking part in organized "Vuen's D&D: Titanhex Edition" games, and I get on, usually, for those. They're going a bit slow because of school/college interference, and we're currently taking a sort-of hiatus as our main DM is struggling in a class.

The clan is based on the idea that we're simply the organizers - we don't see ourselves as owners/rulers of the clan. We're just respected members in that community, hence the use of apostrophes as a half-quotation-mark. I may be a Shaman as far as Warcraft 3 cares, but I'm nobody really important in reality. There's nothing I would do as a Shaman that I couldn't do as a Peon, besides ban pinggnome 'cause I don't trust that nosey bot.

Anyway, I'm excited to see that this forum isn't dead! I probably wouldn't have come back to these forums if I hadn't received an email earlier today. Thanks, for that! I used to enjoy this map, when we got a group on it.
Back to top Go down
YakaryBovine
Map Maker
YakaryBovine

PostSubject: Re: I see you lurking, thor...   I see you lurking, thor... EmptyWed Oct 16, 2013 12:34 am

That's great! You should talk to your Clan members to see if there's anything they want out of this map.

In particular, we do have the capacity to add an optional Dungeon Master. Diaster doesn't want to, I think, but if there was actual demand for it I think he could be swayed.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I see you lurking, thor...   I see you lurking, thor... Empty

Back to top Go down

I see you lurking, thor...
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Fantasy Life :: Off-Topic :: General Chat-
Jump to: